Surly has released a gut-buster! Following in the smaller foot steps of the older Surly Pugsley, the Moonlander frameset is the fatter, younger brother. Capable of swallowing a whole 4.5" tire served on a 100mm rim, the Moonlander takes fat bikes to morbidly obese proportions.
A super-sized frame and fork, the Moonlander frameset features whopping clearance in the rear, yet still allows you to use any standard 135mm mountain bike hub. This is accomplished by off-setting the rear dropouts 28mm to the drive side. The rim is brought back to the centerline of the bike by offset drilling the spoke holes in the rim.
If the Moonlander is the main entree, and the Surly 100mm Clownshoe rims fitted with 4.5" Surly Big Fat Larry tires are dessert, then the Surly MWOD cranks are what you need to digest it all. Because this is such a wide tire/rim combination, special cranks that move the smallest ring out to the middle position are needed to avoid chain/tire interference.
- TIG-welded Surly 4130 CroMoly frame; custom-butted front triangle and chainstays; rear-loading horizontal dropouts with derailleur hanger; 135mm spacing
- 28mm offset frame design pushes the chainline even farther outboard than the Pugsley; Surly Mr. Whirly Offset Double (MWOD) crankset required for guaranteed crank arm/frame clearance and no chain/tire rub
- Clearance for 4.7" tires on 100mm rims
- 135mm fork spacing, non-offset; use a standard rear hub or the Surly 135mm front hub
- 51mm IS disc mounts; uses front caliper adaptors for the front brake
- Max chainring clearance is 22/36t; based on the MWOD crankset
- Designed for a Shimano or SRAM High Direct Mount front derailleur; requires Problem Solvers adaptor (included with frame)
- Dual water bottle mounts, rack/fender eyelets front and rear, and Surly Trip Guide full line guides for derailleur and brake housing
- Moonlander wheelbuilding tool and Surly Stainless seatpost clamp included with frameset